Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Seanan McGuire - A Local Habitation (2010)


I was a big reader of Fae books when I was a child and teen, but I grew out of them as I got older. Recently I've rediscovered my enjoyment in them. I think it's because the Fae races have become more detailed. There aren't just elves and faeries, there are all different types and factions, just like humanity. This just seems more logical to me. If our lives are political and violent and complicated, why wouldn't theirs be?

I discovered McGuire last year when I was hunting online for new authors. All my favourite ones had no new books out and I was desperate for new fantasy/paranormal/mystery books. McGuire is brilliant! This is the second book in the October Daye novels. I'd been waiting for it for the last six months and it did not disappoint. I love how human October is. She has faults and weaknesses, she's lonely and out of her depth, but she keeps going and she tries to solve problems. Even when she knows they may kill her. But, this is purely surmising, I think the loss of her family drives her onwards, even in the face of death. She wants to live, but it seems like a part of her has lost so much and she cannot recover from it. It's dark deep inside her, so she keeps herself on the edge of her society, on the edge of the knife's blade, on the edge of life. I can understand her actions and I think the author must have a strong understanding of loss and how it shapes your life.

October is a private investigator who lives in the human world and also works for her liege in the Fae world - one day she'll be following a cheating human spouse and the next she'll be locating a lost Fae. She's no ordinary changeling and her jobs never end with the expected outcome. Such is life when you're Faerie.

No comments: